NH State House
In 1808 Concord was chosen for the capitol of New Hampshire due
to it's central location within the state of New Hampshire. The
construction of the New Hampshire State House was completed in
1819. The state house was designed by architect Stuart Park.
When the state house was built, it was 2 stories high, built
from granite mined right here in New Hampshire by prisoners
housed at the NH state prison. The NH state house was expanded
and it's dome was added in 1866. The state house was expanded
again in 1910 by adding a 3rd story and West wing.
NH State House Annex
The NH State House
Annex was built in the late 1930's to accommodate the rapidly
growing size of the NH state government.
The Norris Bakery
building at 16-18 S. Main St. was used from the 1860's until the
1920's. The bakery was believed to be among the largest bakeries
in the state of New Hampshire. Norris Bakery delivered bread to
the military camps by horse and wagon. The bakery was later
turned into a movie theater in the 1930's and it remained a
theater until 1994.
Building, located at 18 N. Main St. was used for the Statesman
Newspaper which was bought out by the Concord Monitor. The
statesman building was the first building in Concord to use
Sears Roebuck Department Store
Sears Roebuck was
located at 19 S. Main St in Concord and claimed to be the
largest department store in the state of New Hampshire.
First Church of Christ
The First Church of
Christ is located on the corner of North State St and School St
in Concord NH. The church is currently the tallest building in
Concord. It's 165 foot steeple towers over the city of Concord.
The building is built from granite from a nearby granite quarry
in Concord. This church was founded by the famous
Mary Baker Eddy who donated $100,000.00 towards to the
construction of the church.
South Congregational Church
Congregational Church is located at 27 Pleasant St in Concord,
NH. The church was designed by the minister's brother (Charles
Parker). The cross on the steeple of the church was the focus of
controversy for many years as it was seen as a symbol of the
Roman Catholic faith.
Sacred Heart Church
The Sacred Heart
Church is located at 52 Pleasant St in Concord, NH. The house
next to the church at 54 Pleasant St was purchased to be used as
the church's rectory.
New Phenix Hall
The New Phenix Hall
is located at 40 North Main St. The original Phenix Hall ("Old
Phenix Hall") burned down in 1893. Both Phenix Halls featured an
auditorium and were used for political and sporting events. The
New Phenix Hall has a stage that rolls out. New Phenix Hall once
featured a bridge that connected the Phenix Hotel next door
across the alley. Both Abraham Lincoln and Theodore Roosevelt
spoke at the New Phenix Hall in Concord, NH.